Thursday 12 June 2014

Chompoo Adiyada's Creative Process: Writing Thai Lyrics for an English Song

I love reading translated novels and comparing them to the original English versions. Mostly, I am fascinated by the competence of the translators who keep the original meaning together with the author's voice and also make the translated work sound natural, smooth and beautiful in the Thai language. Trying to immitate these artists, I usually translate a short story when I have free time. One day I came up with an idea to translate a song, which would be more challenging as we had to considerate further about the rhymes and melodies. I have done several translations of my favorite English songs, which sound not too bad, by following these steps.

First, I brainstorm ideas that the song I've chosen is talking about. For example, the song is about a person who is unsuccessful at work. He feels sad for it. However, he is optimistic about the future and has a strong will to keep trying. This song is a mixture of opposite feelings and I have to bear this in mind.

Then, I organize the feelings appearing in the song by, for example, what kind of language I should use(formal/spoken/literary), deciding in what order to put them in and how strong each feeling should be emphasized. All of this must hold the original sense.

After that it's drafting. I take notes of the numbers of wordseach line needs, in order to put translated lyrics with the same length there. I start translating and make the rhyms where they should be.

I review my translated lyrics by checking if it keeps original meaning and fit in rhymes and the numbers of words required.

In revising step, I sing my translated song and make some changes where the words don't fit with tempo, or pitch. Where the note is prolonged, I shouldn't put a short-sounded word. A high pitch note shouldn't be accompanied by a low-sounded word. Or eles, it would sound very weird or has a different meaning as many Thai vocaburaries are differentiate by their pitches. By making some changes, I usually reconsider paraphrasing my lyrics. It's because I normally say the same thing with different words.

Finally, I can publish my song, but usually chose not to do so until I find a good singer or I can sing it myself beautifully, which has never happedned before. I think my translation skills are getting better and I hope so will my singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.