Wednesday 11 June 2014

Peter's Academic Interests

I started writing about my academic interests this morning, so will continue from there.

When I started high school, I was fascinated by botany, but I didn't think I was very good academically, so expected to do only moderately well at high school. But I loved science and mathematics, and found, I think to my parents' as well as my own surprise, that I did very well at these subjects. My first love had been biology, and I wanted to understand the foundations, which led me to study cells, and that led naturally to chemistry. At the same time I loved mathematics: unlike everything else, it gave answers that were proven true with absolute certainty, and some of the connections were amazing.

For a while, my interests met in physics, which was my favourite subject for a few years, until in the last years of high school, mathematics took the lead. However, I was a good Catholic school, and the brother who taught me physics seemed to think that my passion for science might undermine my religious faith. His solution was to encourage me to read Christian philosophers - I read the Christian philosophers, but then continued to read others, with the best possible outcome for me, but probably very upsetting for the good brothers and priests who taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Before you click the blue "Publish" button for your first comment on a post, check ✔ the "Notify me" box. You want to know when your classmates contribute to a discussion you have joined.

A thoughtful response should normally mean writing for five to ten minutes. After you state your main idea, some details, explanation, examples or other follow up will help your readers.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.